Back to School: US Family Health Plan Kickstarts a Productive and Healthy School Year
The end of summer brings the excitement of the beginning of another school year for children (and parents) across the country. The US Family Health Plan takes pride in keeping its youngest members – the children of military families across the country – healthy so they can have a productive, stimulating and educational school year.
In this spirit, one US Family Health Plan, Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers, produced a list of helpful back-to-school preparation tips. Saint Vincent partnered with Operation Homefront on a series of Back to School Brigade events across Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania to provide more than 2,500 military families with book bags loaded with school supplies.
Parents and students pick through school supplies at Back to School Brigade events
sponsored by US Family Health Plan provider, Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers.
(Click on article to view photo slideshow.)
In addition to having the right supplies for school, it is even more important for children to have the right medical care when they need it. Here are some useful health tips to keep in mind for your children:
- Eat Right: Give your children a healthy edge with the right nutritional approach, including these dietary recommendations from Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers.
- Stay Focused: Mental health and proper sleep habits are just as important as a proper diet. US Family Health Plan member Johns Hopkins HealthCare covers these areas and more in its Back-to-School Guide for Parents.
- Eye Exams: It can be hard for children to learn well if they struggle to see the chalkboard. Ask your primary care physician about scheduling an eye exam for your child.
- Annual Physical: Whether your children play sports or not, we recommend an annual physical to survey their general health and to ensure they are on track for continued healthy growth and development.
- Vaccinations: Confirm with your primary care physician that your children’s vaccines are up to date and in alignment with school requirements.
Managing care throughout the school year can be hectic for parents. That’s why all US Family Health Plans are committed to making healthcare as easy as possible for our nation’s military families.